Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Trip to Brisbane Botanic Gardens

This is me infront of these amazing grey palms at the Mt Coot-tha botanic Gardens in Brisbane. They were very nice gardens, quite a few of the plants made me reminisce about my life in Western Australia as a lot of the plants grow there too. It is too cold in Melbourne for many of these.
I have been remiss and not made a new post in a while. Truth is I keep forgetting to take my camera out of its case and take some snaps of our move, so I think what is a post without pictures.
But I have been to Brisbane during this time for 5 days where the weather was a bit warmer and I got to see my sister again after nearly 18 months. She lives in Perth and was in Bris for a seminar where she was a speaker, very exciting stuff she is doing. So I asked my friend Dorothy to come up with me and we had a girls 5 days, we also had an old friend Richard join us, he lives not far from there and well he is one of the girls, if you know what I mean. No slight on him, he is one of those fellas who likes to sit and chat with women, the best kind of men I reckon.
I took lots of photos which are on my facebook. http://www.facebook.com/DaleSeery I think they are available for all to see. But I'll put the best in here too.
Wonderful Cycads, some of the oldest plants in the world.

Poinsettias, I used to grow them in Perth years ago, they are so beautiful

An amazing bronze statue out the front, I love the pose, star gazing or taking in the sun?

Black Bamboo, when the wind blew the sound of the bamboo was lovely, a gentle conking sound. Lots of different bamboos to be seen and so tall!

These were in the tropical dome, wonderful ornamental ginger in the background, a croton with its multi coloured leaves, I just love them and a red flower in the front whose name escapes me.

Also in the dome was this unusual bamboo, amazing soft colours

Any one know the name of this little beauty. We went to the surrealism exhibition in Brisbane while we were there and they had a floral display near the entrance to the art gallery which consisted of a large shrubs bare branches and hanging from then were lots of these flowers and each was sitting in a suspended test tube filled with water. Like tiny vases, it was a bit surreal!

This huge Prayer plant with the sun behind it was stunning

A fig from South East Asia, with the fruits coming out of the trunk, it was stunning and the leaves were enormous, would cover all your bits in the garden of Eden.

A pony tail plant or TREE. I used to grow these in pots in Perth, I never dreamed they could get that big!
Well that's a snip of the botanic gardens in Brissy. I have more photos of the South Bank area which is lovely and some of the architecture in the suburbs, I was impressed with the attention to detail. Keep ya posted.
Dayla

1 comment:

  1. looks like you found some lovely plants there along the way.....thanks for sharing the beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete