Friday, March 1, 2013

Tomato Time

Hi there,
Yes its that time of the year when I am glued to the kitchen, processing our produce for use later in the year.

Aren't they beautiful?

Mostly cocktail tomatoes in this bowl. I will try to sell some at the front gate on Sunday.

These are called Giant Pear tomatoes, well that's the common name. I have no idea what they are called in official circles. I had never seen them before last year when my neighbour gave me some. I saved the seed and grew my own this year. I love them, they are sweet and have little juice. Lots of flesh, good for sauce.

This is a collection of tommies I am saving for seed. I have romas, italian roms which are longer, giant pear, another flat fluted large variety, black russian, black Krim, yellow pear, a small red one which is sooo hardy, an apricot sized and coloured one, and a green zebra.

Freezing tomatoes is a great way of softening them up so they go through my wizz bang machine for separating the skins and seeds from the flesh.

Giant pears compared to a pear.
And here is the star of the show!

Feed soft or cooked tomatoes in the top and turn the handle, one side has juice the other seeds and skins. Fabulous.
Then when that is done I cook it up to reduce some of the liquid, add onions, garlic and lots of basil. This year I am adding some grated zucchini as I have lots.
When its cooked to a nice consistancy for putting over pasta, ladle it into large sterilised jars and put them into a water bath.
More of that in the next post!
cheers
Dayla

No comments:

Post a Comment