Friday, June 10, 2011

But we have no Badgers

Hello and welcome to my blog,
As this is the first one I should probably explain about the badgers.
Next month M and I are moving to our new home in Healesville Victoria. The road is Badger Wier Road and the area is Badger Creek, so it stand to reason we will call our little patch of earth Badger Farm.
But as this is Australia there are no Badgers! So whats going on?
I will let you know the answer to that question when I find out. I guess it may have been a confusion by early settlers with seeing a Wombat as they are the closest thing I can think of to the Badger equivilant.And the name stuck. So we think we might make a few badgers out of this and that and put them around the garden.
Badger Farm is where we hope to spend the rest of our lives together at least till we need more care, hopefully 30+ years time.
 We weren't sure when we were moving and I couldn't miss getting some sprouting potatoes in, so I put them in boxes and they can be lifted and moved with when the time comes.
I have been lifting some of my favourite plants and taking cuttings of those too big to lift so I can take them with me.
The house and garden will be demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass -oh no! 4 double storey units.

And we are busting to move in, so more later I have to pack a box or two to get ready for the move.
Dayla

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dayla
    It's great to read your new blog - I hope you have time to continue it once you move on to your new home in Healesville - it sounds like you're going to be busy!

    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new adventure in sustainability and do hope you discover why the area is called 'Badger Creek'.

    Good luck and happiness in you new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out about the Badger name.
    Turns out a horse called badger died in the creek. Rather morbid, sorry about that but they named the creek after the horse apparently.
    So if this it true then we have our answer.

    ReplyDelete